Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You've Got a Friend

Today was one of the best days I've had in a long while.  When I was just a fledgling genealogist, some 14 years ago, I met a kindred spirit whose friendship made me a better person. She was interested in all the same things I was and more. She continually seeked to improve her knowledge and skills in everything and encouraged me to do so as well.  Everything is more fun when you have someone to share it with, right?

Unfortunately, a few years ago our family and business lives became a bit overwhelming and we lost touch. She reminded me that the last time we saw each other my daughter had just graduated high school. Well, my daughter graduated college a year and a half ago...that means it's been five and a half years since we've had any but the most cursory email communication. How sad is that?

But today, we talked and laughed just like old times. It felt so good to have my friend back. I didn't realize until now how much I've missed her. I'm reminded of the Carole King song:


Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall
All you have to do is call
And I’ll be there, yes I will
You’ve got a friend

Of course we made promises to spend more time together in future. Her life is a bit more crazy than mine right now, but I am absolutely not going to let so much time go by without regular therapeutic visits with my friend.

Thank you, Dear Friend, for making my life a little brighter today.

Thanks for dropping by.
 

1 comment: