Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fresh Meat! (Genealogically Speaking)

Baby Bro and his new wife flew into town to surprise Mom for her birthday. This is the first time I've seen Sis-in-law since they were married a little over two years ago.

Mom mentioned during the conversation that she hasn't sent any birthday cards to anyone since she got here because her date book is packed in storage. This got me to thinking about all the birthdays I have stored in my genealogy program and I suddenly remembered that Sis-in-law and I haven't had "The Discussion" yet. So I sat her down with a pedigree chart and a family group record and we got started.

The only info Sis-in-law was able to give me were the names of her parents and grandparents. To her knowledge, no one has ever researched her paternal line. Her father never talked about his family and she didn't know much. My heart started to palpitate--a virgin family tree! This is going to be so much fun!

Baby Bro and Sis-in-law drove up to Phoenix to watch today's Cardinals-Rams game and I stayed behind to research her family tree. So far I have been able to get dates for her father and paternal grandparents AND I have added two more generations to her pedigree. She will be so surprised when I hand it over to her tomorrow along with the supporting documentation (draft cards, obituaries, birth, death, and marriage records and, of course, censuses)!

Sis-in-law's Grandpa's WW I draft card

Pure Bliss! This is waayyy more fun than watching any football game, right?

[Do you think maybe I might be a geek?]

Thanks for dropping by.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment