Saturday, November 19, 2011

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles

We humans seem to have a fascination with our modes of transportation. At least my family did...they were always having their pictures taken with them. Here are a few of the photos from my coffers of my folks with their traditional, and some not so traditional, rides.

My 2nd-great-grandmother, Juliane Bye, my great-grandmother, Frances Bye, and my cousin Julian Tvedt, c1900

Aunt- and Uncle-in-law, c1910


My great-grandparents, Harry and Frances (Bye) Jackson, with their motorbike in the early 1920s.


I don't know who this is or what year, but he's probably a relative since this photo is in our family files.
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the date?

I don't know who these children are, either. I'm guessing this is late 1920s or early 1930s based on their clothing.
I wish we could see more of the airplane, though.


Grandpa-in-law Claude Parker in a row boat, probably fishing. He looks about 15 here, I'm guessing this was taken in 1917.


Grandpa-in-law Claude Parker. What do you think, early 1920s?

My mother-in-law and her cousin, c1925


A bunch of Parkers (I can't read the names on the back of the photo). I'm guessing early 1930s. What is your guess?

We're not certain who these people are...far left might be my great-grandmother Frances (Bye) Jackson. Probably 1930s.




My grandfather Vince Heinz, c1935


Mom 1936

Mom c1937

Mom's first train ride 1939 (with Frances (Bye) Jackson)


Great-grandma Frances and her son Lee Jackson c1940


Granduncle Lee Jackson on what looks like a toy tractor c1940



My great-grandfather Harry Jackson with his vacation trailer in Tampa, Florida c1941

My great-grandmother (again) c.1943


Front of a Christmas card Lee Jackson sent to his mother from his tour in WW II in 1944. He was in the 82nd Airborne Division and suffered injuries to his back and leg from a parachute jump in Africa.


Frances (Bye) Jackson racing the family dog on one of her grand-daughters' bikes, probably late 1940s or early 1950s.

Cousin Paule Loring, about 1950-1960


Sis and Me, 1957



Great-grandma Frances Jackson, c1959


Grandparents-in-law Claude and Mildred (Muth) Parker, 1972


Cousins at Cape Canaveral, 1985

Dumbo ride at Disneyland, 1987


Hubby playing with a tractor in the rain, 1988


Whew!!! There's more, but I think you get the drift.

Sepia Saturday is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. Visit their blog for other stories and vintage photos with the theme of the week.





Thanks for dropping by.
 



14 comments:

  1. Wow, what great photos! My favorites are Mom with her dollies and her first train ride. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure trove of transportation photos. I especially love the first one with that weird big wheel carriage, wagon?
    And the one with your uncle on the toy tractor.
    All of them together form a great history of fabulous rides - even dumbo and the space capsule! Great post.
    Nancy Javier
    Ladies of the grove

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spectacular collection! You could write a story with these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a variety of fantastic photos to have - I love Juliane's grin as she urges her "steeds" on! Vince looks very proud of his vehicle - and rightly so. My favourite is Frances racing the dog on a bike - good for her. My Granny was keen on posing on cars too :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lot of interesting family photos. My favorites are the same as Cynthia's--your mother with her dolls and her first train ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have some amazing family photos, and your family's sense of humor comes through loud and clear. I love transportation-related photos anyway, but these are some of the best I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fantastic collection of family photos with all their different forms of transport. I loved the very first one - 2x great grandmother even - wonderful! Your mother was very cute, I love the photo of her stepping off the train ...and your grandfather Vince posing with his car - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a collection of photos - so many to admire, but I keep going back to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good gracious, that really is a fabulous collection of images. Every one of them has a story to tell. And I know what you mean about a fascination for modes of transport - I suppose so many of us share it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my my my, the photos went on forever and I loved each one. My fave is yur great gran sitting on the hood of the car with her white shoes! A wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sherri, WOW!!! So many cool photos and so many different types of rides. The space ship and the Dumbo ride cracked me up. I couldn't help but think that your Mom was pretty loved, will all of those baby dolls that she had lined up.

    Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello and leave me a note.

    Happy Thanksgiving,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In that picture of you, what a grumpy face! but very adorable. Loved all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete