Friday, September 23, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Hobbies

The online Merium-Webster dictionary gives the following definition as its first choice for hobby: ": a small Old World falcon (Falco subbuteo) that is dark blue above and white below with dark streaking on the breast." Huh. I don't think that's what is meant by this week's topic for 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History.

 Okay, then, they must mean the second definition: ": a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." Everything I did as a child fell into one of three categories: school, chores, play. I'm going to assume that the intent for this topic is the activities that fell into the play category.


Image found on public domain.
I was a bit of a tomboy...while I didn't play sports, I did enjoy roller skating, playing catch, riding my bike, and climbing trees. I used to watch my sister play with dolls and thought it was really boring. And then I discovered Troll Dolls. Do you remember them? They were short and fat and really ugly which made them really cute. They had outrageous colored hair that was fuzzy and messy. I don't remember how many Troll dolls I had, but I saved my allowance and bought another as soon as I had enough to do so. I kept them all lined up on the window sill in my bedroom. 

Image found on public domain.
I didn't play with the dolls, I made clothes for them! My mother wouldn't let me use the sewing machine (I was still too young to operate heavy machinery) so I had to hand sew all their garments. She would give me scraps of felt and I would make little outfits for them. I had many happy hours of designing the outfits and plying the needle and thread. Hmmm, maybe my hobby was really fashion design and sewing. I might have been a contender for Project Runway! Who knew?


Thanks for dropping by.




2 comments:

  1. Yes, I meant definition #2 when I wrote this prompt, but feel free to choose whichever one you want. :)

    Thank you for participating in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Thanks for clarifying, Amy. I felt like I was taking a multiple-choice quiz. Glad to know that I made the right choice. Of course, I had a 50-50 chance of getting it right...not bad odds. ;D

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete